DON'T BREAK YOUR BACK!
Mar 12, 2019
Tips to decrease injury while lifting:
- Keep your eyes and head up. This will decrease the rounding of your back and encourage a more neutral spinal position.
- Keep the object closer to you. The further away, the more compressive forces on your spine. (see image below)
- Brace with your core. Your abdominals are your natural back brace. Pull your belly button towards your spine to engage.
- BREATHE! Holding your breath causes increased intraabdominal pressure.
- Pivot rather than twist. Turn with your entire body instead of twisting just your spine.
- Don’t be a hero. Ask for help if you are unsure of the object’s weight or position.