Mar 01, 2021
Reasons one might have a cervical fusion:
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
How can physical therapy help post-surgery?
- Manual therapy and instructed stretching will be instructed to promote healing. Frequently the surgery is performed to decompress nerves in the cervical spine. The nerve will still need healing time following the surgery. Analogy: If you hit your thumb with a hammer it will hurt for awhile even when you remove the hammer.
- The body learns to compensate for pain and mobility restrictions and creates new movement patterns. Part of treatment will focus on improving body mechanics with functional activities and to encourage appropriate and efficient movement patterns.
- Nerve compression or even compensation may have resulted in weakness. We will focus on improving appropriate strength and to decrease any strength imbalances.
- The goal of treatment is to help you to return to your prior level activities. Whether its returning to heavy work duties, picking up your kids or being able to sleep without pain.As you progress with treatment, we will focus on getting you back to YOUR goals.
Tags: post surgery
Category: Physical Therapy